A seminar run by the IOP professional practice group, for anyone supporting teachers of physics. We will be looking at forces and explanations.
There are many challenges when teaching forces and motion. It’s sometimes difficult to know where to start. We will be looking at:
• Typical misconceptions and what to do about them (incl Newton’s 3rd law and resolution of forces)
• The role of diagnostic questions
• What to prioritise in a 1 hour session
• Practical ideas – everyone sharing!
Please bring along your favourite coaching resources for forces to share with the group.
• What make for a good explanation?
• Can explaining as a skill be taught?
• How can visualisations support explanations?
• What is the role of stories in explanations?
• How can teachers support pupils’ written explanations?
We will focus our explanations on the topic of forces to follow on from our morning session, but do bring any resources relevant to explanations that you think would be useful to share!
A great chance to meet other coaches and share practice. Remember – sharing is caring!
- Available Spaces: 8
- Contact Details: [email protected]
- Group: Teaching Physics in London, East of England and Kent
Bookings are closed for this event.