The aim of the Physics Olympics Day is to give students a chance to take part in fun, challenging physics activities, which they might not normally have chance to do in the busy classroom environment. This would be a good opportunity to provide a STEM activity for your gifted and talented students from your current year 9.
• The competition will comprise of six individual events, each of which will be a short activity and should take about 30 minutes.
• Each team should consist of four year 9 pupils.
• The competition will start at 9.30 a.m. and finish by 3.30 p.m.
• A buffet lunch will be provided for all and there will be prizes for the six individual event winners and the overall first, second and third placed teams and also a small memento of the day for all who have been involved.
This will primarily be a fun day, but also there is clearly an element of challenge and competition and the boys and girls involved will hopefully come away having both enjoyed their experience and also having learnt some physics.
While the students carry out the tasks, teachers and/or lab technicians will have the opportunity to take part in physics INSET. These sessions will be run by members of the Institute of Physics and will focus on practical work in physics, misconceptions in physics and there will be a “make and take” activity.
Please bring a minimum one member of staff per 8 students (2 teams), however feel free to bring more members of staff if they are interested in the training.
If you wish to bring a team(s) to the competition would you please complete the sheet: Physics Olympic Letter 2020 (2) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. I look forward to hearing from you and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
In the past many school have sent two teams. Please feel free to do this. It is often just as easy and it means that more students get to take part. If you have any questions please email Mark Ormerod: email@example.com.
- Contact details: MO@boltonschool.org
- Add to your calendar
- Bolton School Boys’ Division
- Chorley New Road, Bolton, BL1 4PA