• Author
      Profile photo of Andrew Normand

How come some users’ profile pages contain different fields than others?  E.g. some have “professional name”.

It’s just about when users last updated their profiles. Anyone who has done so in the last couple of months will no longer have “professional name”. When we roll out the new profile to gather information about trainee teachers in the UK and Ireland, we’ll send an email asking everyone to update their profiles.

For instance David Sang had been hit by our “David Sang Sang” glitch – since updating his profile last week, his name now displays correctly and the professional name has disappeared from his profile.

Something else bugs me about the profile page. It only allows an uppercase letter at the start of some fields. This looks very amateurish when you try to type “National Schools’ Observatory” and it all appears in lowercase letter.

We’re (frustratingly…) close to making live our new profile page. This is mainly to let us collect the information we need to support trainee teachers, but also solves some of the irritations, such as only allowing lower case. It also replaces the free-text boxes with menus and checkboxes wherever possible, so we can analyse our user data in terms of, say, comparing usage between different countries (e.g. we seem to have very few users from the Republic of Ireland, but that’s one of the IOP’s home countries and should be represented as well as the UK relative to its population), and whether most of our users are teachers, or trainee teachers, or what have you.

We’re just doing some final testing (mainly to check that only those with key profile information completed can post, so we know who all the active users are).

As soon as its gone live, we’ll begin (gently…) getting people to update their profiles.

The new profile page has gone “live” – any new or existing users who update their profile will now be asked to complete the latest version. Please try this out and let me know what you think.

I’ve updated my profile but  as I can’t remember what the page looked like before I can’t comment on the changes!

Not clear how it is an improvement, as it doesn’t obviously offer anything that was absent-but-desired before?  Will we be able to filter members by fields (e.g. “teacher”?)?

Issues:

The page displays fields that can’t be editted.  One field has no label.

Would like to see a field for “responsibility” — e.g. head of science, head of physics, classroom teacher, etc. — selected from a predefined list of options (to enable search/filter).

Not sure I prefer “family name” over the more ubiquitous “surname”.

“Interest in teaching physics”?  Seems like we’re playing at this whole “teaching physics” thing.  I understand the need, but not sure it solves the problem?

“About me” bit reformats the page to full width, which wastes a lot of space above it.

Widget for “groups” still limited in length.

Hi – sorry if this comes across as a bit garbled. I’ve just fallen victim to being logged out before I’m finished and, uniquely, it even did it twice in a row five minutes apart – never seen that before…

You’ll be happy to know that That flaw should be gone by the start of the new term, by the way, as we’re having some usability work done, one part of which is to leave logged in for at least one month anyone who ticks “remember me”.

Anyway…

I’d hoped to portray that most of the improvements were for the IOP, rather than directly for users, but that at least it would sort out capital letters, etc.

The main problem previously was that the data couldn’t be used for any sort of searching or analysis because it was free-text. At least now it is constrained, e.g. postcodes. Yes, it is desirable to now let users get on with using it for something, such as finding people within a certain distance of you. Searching will be a priority if we get further development funding.

Which fields are displayed that you can’t edit?

For responsibilities, how about simply adding these to the list of interests, rather than giving an extra field? (oh, plus technician, which I’d left off).

Family name – yes, it just hadn’t come up in discussion here. How about the even clearer first name and “last name”, Facebook-style? It dawned on me that we could just have “name” Amazon-style, and show that name everywhere, but I’m sure someone will just put in “Jon” without a surname if we allow that.

“Interest in teaching physics” – we struggled to describe the pair of fields for interest and role. Any suggestions to distinguish that pair?

Thank you for the formatting pointers – I’ll add these to our list of issues.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?