• Author
      Profile photo of Andrew Normand

I have set up two groups (Cambridgeshire Teacher Network, East of England Physics Teachers) and would like to invite some people who I know are on talkphysics (e.g. I wanted to invite Gerry Blake).

So I go to my East of England group page – https://www.talkphysics.org/pg/groups/25280/east-of-england-physics-teachers-group/

I click INVITE and go to G

I have two problems, then

1. I have a huge list to scan through, and I can’t see any search facility at this point; the list is mostly in alphabetical order, but also has some obvious abberations (like Barry O’Doherty in the second line – why is he on the G page?).

2. Gerry’s name doesn’t actually appear on this list (I don’t think); nor on the B list for Blake, even though he does appear when I go to TOOLS and search for him by name there.

I wonder – could the member search be linked to the INVITE to group function in any way? Could I look for someone, find them, invite them to join?

Cheers,

Ally

Hi Ally – sorry for the delay getting back to you.

We’ve been working on a solution to this for a few days recently, and I still hope to have something better in place by the end of March.

For the moment, all I can suggest is that you email or message your invitees with the group’s URL: https://www.talkphysics.org/pg/groups/25280/east-of-england-physics-teachers-group/ , and ask them to click on “Request membership”, a button they’ll see on the left-hand side of the group’s homepage.

The problem is that Elgg was never meant to handle people’s real names, so the list of invitees is in order of their username, and as a double whammy, it treats capital letters entirely separately from lower case letters. Barry is under the “G”s because he chose the username Gaelach. Likewise, Gerry chose the username “g.blake”, and so he appears after all the people who have usernames that begin with capital “G”. You can find someone’s username by clicking on their profile picture and seeing the last part of the URL.

What we’re hoping to implement is ordering everyone by first name + surname, ignoring case. That isn’t completely straightforward and wasn’t obvious when TalkPhysics began with a few users.

I certainly agree that what we have isn’t satisfactory.

I hope to have news soon about future development funding.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?