• Author
      Profile photo of Andrew Normand

Email from David Sang:

Can we have a way of changing our display name?

—-

Perhaps we could do this by merging display name and professional name, and having this as an editable field? It is currently only editable by admins.

A few people have pointed out that they’ve had messages from talkphysics that have been sent by “Ian” or “Gary” and they don’t know who to reply to as apparently other people have the same name (8 Gary’s and many more Ian’s). I remember thinking it was strange Charles putting his surname when we all knew who he was anyway, but that was when there was a dozen of us. I think in one instance they had been asked to reply to someone by e-mail but didn’t know who it was. Is this being included in the names improvements?

Also…I can’t find people to invite to join a group. I can find Nicky Thomas and Richard Bonella on the names search but on the tickbox menu that you see to send an invitation I can’t find them anywhere. Is it a bug or my poor alphabet skills?

I have found this (ppl not in invite list) as well and raised it with JOn as urgent (for me).

Common names – no, this isn’t dealt with by our new profile.

Hmm, an interesting one, and part of a whole class of fun problems that we need to solve for the days when we have 10 000 active users, with tens of thousands of posts, resources, etc.

We could put a link to their profile in the email alert? Especially as we are also going to encourage everyone to update their profiles. We could summarise their profile in the foot of the email, but that would seem to just clutter the email. Inside TalkPhysics, I wonder whether a typical user knows that they can click on the sender’s name to see their profile? Do enough people have their full names shown in the profile for that to be helpful?

Missing invititations – This is a bug, and one I thought we’d solved. We only have Tim for one day each week now, but I’ve passed on Ian’s missing names as urgent, and I’ll pass on yours too. Thanks for letting me know. If it’s really urgent, we can create the invitation links by hand. Bit of a faff, but possible.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?