• Author
      Profile photo of Andrew Normand

Place the inverted can bottom on a smooth surface – or inside a petri dish.
      Move the magnet so that the can bottom starts to rotate.
      You will need:

A magnet – the stronger  the better.
      A smooth surface.
      The bottom of an aluminium drinks can.

There are several designs for simple motors. This is an induction motor – moving the neodymium magnets by the aluminium can bottom will cause the can bottom to rotate because a current is induced in the aluminium. This induced current will create a magnetic field and this magnetic field is repelled by that of the magnet causing it to turn. You could also try cutting slits in the can bottom much like the swinging pendulum demonstrations.
      Themes: Electricity, electromagnetism.

The stronger the magnet the better.
      You need a smooth surface and the bottom of an aluminium drinks can.

thanks thats a great idea

p.s. in a class students were making simple homopolar motors and one guy managed to make this..

The magnet span round (quite fast) without any connecting wires?! do you have any idea how this works? where does the energy come from? it was a very strong rare earth magnet

it would even spin up from standing..total mystery to me

No idea, I’ve seen the one with the connecting wire but did it work without the cell, just dangling on the wire?

sorry the diagram isn’t clear, it was just on nail or might’ve been a screw

But did it work without the cell? Just dangling off the nail?

i never got the chance to try that, there wasn’t any metal handy and I haven’t got back to it till now

im just experimenting now but I’ve only got the smaller rare magnets d~10mm not the bigger ones d~200mm and it doesn’t appear to work.

soz d~20m

there appears to be some effect but not enough to start it from standstill or keep it going indefinately, 2 magnets seem to spin for a lot longer than 1

it seems to happen with a pair of nail clippers but its not as powerful, having a look for a metal object or surface more similar to a battery 

hmm not reallly getting anything conclusive, have to wait till I have a bigger magnet

hmm not reallly getting anything conclusive, have to wait till I have a bigger magnet

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forgot your details?