Talking Physics

Diffraction 5 Pound Note

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Nick Mitchener 6 days, 21 hours ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Andrew Normand

Some time ago we had a thread on the diffraction pattern used as a security feature in a Canadian dollar.

Canadian dollar 1

Here is an image I took when shining a red laser through the note.

There was a great video shared on here.

I tried a laser through the new 5 pound note

diffraction 5 pound

You can see the queen is made of little plastic dots on clear plastic
    Queen 2The region that I got the best diffraction from was under the Queen’s chin and you can see the ordered spacing that created it here

chin china me 2

it’s rubbish isn’t it compared to the Canadian one? I was very disappointed when I tried it. Will be sticking to Canadian notes for demos.

Where did you get the $ sign from? Where did you have to shine the laser on? When I did it on my Canadian $5 note I got something closer to the new £5 note.

Hi Alessio, I shone the laser through clear maple leaf is. The blue dot in the dollar below.
    Canadian security dollar

The dollar I had is in the IOP Electromagnetic Workshop box and was a shown at the East Midlands day. I seem to remember that I could see no dollar pattern and was convinced that it is a true diffraction pattern. When I get hold of one again I will use my dino-light microscope to have a look. In the pictures above I used the dino-light to magnify the £5 pound note enough to see the little blobs of plastic.

It is a definite security feature on the Canadian money and an interesting website is here.
    http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/bank-note-series/polymer/security-features/

Where with the £5 note the diffraction pattern we see is just from the periodic structure of the plastic blobs

Thanks, someone shared this link in PTNC that shows how the new £5 notes work well to play an LP record 🙂 pretty cool too.

Somehow I don’t think my partner is going to be impressed if I try to use a fiver to play one of his treasured vinyls.

I just looked at a $20 note, the pattern in the dot looks like a very complicated maze, the type you get in puzzle books with right angled corners.

I did have a go at making a sound with the new 5 pound note. It did scratch the record a little

There is a good thread here on diffraction through a feather

https://www.talkphysics.org/groups/news-and-comment/forum/topic/diffraction-of-laser-beams/

Just got my first new 10 pound note. Still waiting to shine a laser through it.

Shining UV on it is quite uneventful really

crown 10 pound note

I do like the new iridescence as a security feature.

bank note 5

My daughter pointed out how much how the crown looks like a face

It’s great that the BoE is celebrating diversity like that!

I have just come across a plastic Australian 5 dollar bank note. No interesting diffraction to report yet.

The iridescence on the bird is amazing and I got from blue through green to red by rotating through an angle.

Nice one Dave,

the Queen’s chin in the new £5 is quite interesting though. I often get students to find the spacing between the dots by measuring the diffraction pattern.

lovely real application.

I’ve tried to get teachers interested in using diffraction to measure things, like the spacing on a DVD but they don’t appear to see the benefit (it isn’t in the curriculum)

I bid on an interferometer on ebay once but was the under bidder. I think finding uses for these formulae helps to embed the principles and broaden the understanding.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Contact Us

Send us (the site admins) an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

Forgot your details?