References to the ‘Institute’ mean the Institute of Physics. References to ‘this website’ are to the TalkPhysics website from which you are linking to these terms and conditions (the “Terms”). The Institute may amend or add to the Terms without notice.
Please read this document carefully. By accessing or using this website, you are agreeing to be bound by all of the Terms (last updated on 15 January 2010).
The Terms are intended to supplement, and not supersede, the general terms and conditions for the Institute’s websites (last updated on 22 June 2010).
Using this Website
This website is an online service provided by the Institute which allows teachers of physics to join a community and thereby communicate with one another. Personal profiles can be created that can be linked with others, you can view each other’s names and profiles, communicate with others privately or openly, share comments, and create new networks based on your personal or professional interests.
If you use this website, you are solely responsible for the content of your messages and any consequences which arise from them. By using this website, you agree to the following:
- You are 18 years of age or older and a teacher of physics, a trainee teacher of physics, or a supporter (such as a teacher trainer or technician).
- Any information you provide as part of your use of this website shall be true, accurate and complete.
- You shall only use this website for personal use and not for commercial purposes (for example, to promote a company, product or service or to recruit staff) unless you have the Institute’s prior written consent.
- You shall not use this website to send chain letters, junk mail, “spam”, solicitations (whether commercial or non-commercial) or any kind of bulk communications. If another person puts their email address or web address in their message, you shall only use it for the purpose intended by that person.
- If you use this website to arrange to meet someone then you do so solely at your own risk and the Institute cannot accept any liability for any consequences which may result.
- You shall not post to this website, or use this website to publish, send or distribute, any message or material (in any media or form) that is, or could be construed as: (i) unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene, profane, threatening, racially, sexually or otherwise discriminatory, offensive or inaccurate; (ii) in breach of confidence or a third party’s intellectual property rights; (iii) objectionable; (iv) encouraging or engaging in conduct that could amount to a criminal offence; (v) giving rise to civil liability or otherwise in violation of any local, national or international laws or regulations; or (vi) having a negative influence or impact on the Institute or any companies in its group.
- You shall not impersonate any other person or entity, whether they are real or fictitious.
- You shall not use this website in a way that could cause this website, or any other Institute website, to be interrupted, damaged, made less efficient or in such a way as could damage the operation of any computer.
- You shall indemnify and hold each of the Institute, its group companies and its employees, harmless from any claim or demand, including, but not limited to, solicitors’ fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your use of this website, your breach of the Terms or your infringement of any intellectual property right or other right of any other person or entity.
Rights of the Institute
- The Institute reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to edit, alter, delete or remove any material posted to, appearing on or distributed by you or the Institute.
- The Institute may, at any time and without notice, close any discussion on this website if it considers discussions are inappropriate.
- The Institute shall be entitled to restrict, suspend or terminate access to this website, or take such action as it deems appropriate, if it determines, in its sole discretion, that you are in breach of any of the Terms or that your use of this web site is inappropriate or otherwise unacceptable.
- The restriction, suspension or termination of your access to this website shall be without prejudice to any rights which the Institute may have against you regarding your breach of the Terms.
- The Institute shall be entitled to disclose your identity and details if required or requested by the courts or other law enforcement authorities and/or agencies or in such other circumstances as the Institute, in its sole discretion, considers necessary or appropriate.
- You acknowledge that even if your account on this website is deactivated / deleted at any time, any material that you have posted to this website may still be visible from this website for an indefinite period.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
- The Institute takes the privacy of its members very seriously and is committed to safeguarding that privacy. The terms of the Institute’s Privacy and Cookies policy are incorporated within the Terms. Cookies are set after you log into the site.
- The terms of the Institute’s Disclaimer are incorporated within the Terms.
- The terms of the Institute’s Copyright statement are incorporated within the Terms.
- Any failure or delay by the Institute to enforce your performance of any of the Terms, or to exercise any right under the Terms, shall not be construed as a waiver of any of the Institute’s rights.
- The Terms, and the documents incorporated expressly within them by reference, constitute the entire understanding between you and the Institute as to your use of this website and supersede all prior agreements and understandings between you and the Institute regarding the same.
- English law governs the Terms and the English courts have exclusive jurisdiction to determine any disputes.
If you have any questions or comments about the Terms, you should contact:
Group Legal Adviser
Institute of Physics
76 Portland Place
Tel: +44 (0)20 7470 4800
Fax: +44 (0)20 7470 4848